NEWS:

Herald of Orange Light

Questions about card rulings

Herald of Orange Light

Postby Petrovka » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:26 pm

It was ruled in a tournament that I attended that Herald of Orange Light cannot negate Honest/Kalut or graveyard effects because the card's text says a card that your opponent controls.

So my question is: Is this ruling correct or can it negate honest/Kalut?

Thanks.
Petrovka
Common Duelist

Re: Herald of Orange Light

Postby Punk » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Herald of the Orange Light is very poorly written, and since it's a TCG exclusive, we can't even call it a translation error.
Despite saying "controls," it works just like Herald of Perfection, and can negate monster effects that activate from anywhere.

Rules and erratas are created to clear up misunderstandings.
If an official ruling goes against the printed word of a card that it specifically mentions (ie Sirocco, HotOL, etc,) always go with the ruling, as the bad text is the very reason the rule exists.
Punk
Time Lord

Postby Petrovka » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:59 pm

Punk wrote:Herald of the Orange Light is very poorly written, and since it's a TCG exclusive, we can't even call it a translation error.
Despite saying "controls," it works just like Herald of Perfection, and can negate monster effects that activate from anywhere.

If an official ruling goes against the printed word of a card that it specifically mentions (ie Sirocco, HotOL, etc,) always go with the ruling, as the bad text is the very reason the rule exists.

Thanks for clearing that up but do you have any proof so I can show the judge? I searched for an Errata but I can't find any.
I told him about it but he just told me I was wrong.
Petrovka
Common Duelist

Postby Punk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Petrovka wrote:
Punk wrote:Herald of the Orange Light is very poorly written, and since it's a TCG exclusive, we can't even call it a translation error.

Thanks for clearing that up but do you have any proof so I can show the judge? I searched for an Errata but I can't find any.
I told him about it but he just told me I was wrong.

There really isn't an official source I can link you to, as it was created during the time where UDE was in control.
Not a whole lot of information remains online from that time, regarding rulings.
And there was never a reprint, so there's no errata.

But the thing is, it's just the way the card is written, .
What the TCG version TRIES to say is that your opponent must control the effect.
It just does so very badly.

The OCG text correctly reads:
Negate the activation and effect of an opponent's Effect Monster and destroy it.

If the fact that it has always been ruled that way at every major event and the Japanese text aren't enough, then I really don't know what to do.
Unless you have a smartphone, then just google it in front of him.
Punk
Time Lord

Return to Rulings